(Current Update 12/31/2019): Save enormous time and effort on strategic planning and market analysis exercises by dropping this data set into your mapping program and filtering on geography, employers, and provider specialties. This list is updated bi-monthly and identifies all Medicare billing reassignments by U.S. physicians, advanced practice providers, and other healthcare professionals to their employers.
This data set is created and maintained by joining the NPI Data Dissemination file together with the Medicare Reassignment List. The NPI data is updated weekly and the Medical reassignment list is updated bi-monthly. HCTadvisor publishes the updated joined data set every other month.
The data set is separated into 56 comma-separated files (csv). The files are organized by the U.S. states or territory identified in the Medicare record for the individual professional. If there is no state in the Medicare record, then the practice location’s state in the NPI record is relied upon for the individual medical provider. All 50 states and the District of Columbia are included. The territories include Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and American Samoa.
- Most Pediatricians do NOT register with Medicare, and there are no Medicare reassignment records for most pediatricians. Unmatched pediatricians, without Medicare reassignment records, are still present in the files from the NPI records.
- If medical providers do not update their Medicare and NPI record when they move, HCTadvisor separates their records into a reference file to quickly identify medical professionals whose state address records do not match between the Medicare and NPI databases. As stated in the Data License Terms & Conditions, HCTadvisor has made no effort to verify the quality or accuracy of the underlying data, nor modify the Data as received from the U.S. government or other source. HCTadvisor makes no representations as to the accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability or usefulness of the Data, and HCTadvisor shall not be responsible for the use or misuse of the Data by the Licensee or any third party.
- Data Dictionary (.xlsx format)
- 56 state & territory csv files bundled into four (4) compressed .zip file bundles. Each .zip file bundle contains about 15 csv files.
- Medicare-NPI State Mismatch Files Reference: Use these 57 files to identify physicians whose Medicare and NPI records show addresses in different states. The combined file is in .xlsx format, and the other 56 files are .csv files.
4 Minute Video Demo
|1||Group Assignee Legal Business Name||Medicare Reassignment List||This is the organization to which the individual professional assignor is reassigning Medicare billing|
|2||Individual Assignee||Medicare Revalidation Due Date List||This is the individual assignee to which the individual professional assignor is reassigning Medicare billing|
|3||Medicare Assignee Specialty||Medicare Revalidation Due Date List||This is the organization or individual assignee's self reported specialty in Medicare's records|
|4||Assignee Group Enrollment ID||Medicare Reassignment List||This is the assignee's group enrollment ID|
|5||Assignee Group State Code||Medicare Reassignment List||This is the assignee's state code|
|6||Assignee # of Reassignments and Physician Assistants||Medicare Reassignment List||This is the number of reassignements to the assignee|
|7||Assignor NPI Self Identified Specialty||NPI Data Dissemination File||This is the self-identified specialty of the assignor in the assignor's NPI record|
|8||Assignor Medicare Individual Specialty Description||Medicare Reassignment List||This is the self-identified specialty of the assignor in the assignor's Medicare record|
|9||NPI||Medicare Reassignment List||This is the assignor's NPI number from both Medicare records and NPI record|
|10||NPI Assignor Last Name||NPI Data Dissemination File||This is the assignor's last name from the NPI record|