The Healthcare Management Service Fees Data Subscription provides self-reported fees for over 20,000 healthcare management service arrangements. This sample includes management services provided to hospitals, skilled nursing facilities (SNFs), home health agencies, hospice agencies, renal dialysis centers, physician practices, and other types of healthcare organizations.
This data has been mined from IRS 990 Forms submitted from 2016 through 2020, as well as Medicare Cost Reports for fiscal years 2017 through 2021. New data is added to the data set as it is released by the federal government.
HCTadvisor licenses access to this data set on a 12-month subscription basis. New data is shared with subscribers quarterly.
The data sets includes:
- Time period
- Management company names
- Company being managed, city, state
- Management compensation
- Managed company net patient revenues and total revenues
- HCTadvisor flags for “Mgt Fee” and “Mgt Company” indicators
Reported revenue data for the managed organizations is included to allow for easy calculation of management fees as a percentage of company revenues.
Subscription Content Summary: January 23, 2023 Update
Form 990 Updates Delayed
|Data Source||Section Title||Periods||Approx. # Mgt Fee Arrangements (n)|
|Form 990||5 Highest Compensated Independent Contractors, Part VII, Section B||990 forms from 2016-2020||2,908*|
|Medicare Hospital Cost Reports||Worksheet A-8-1 – Related Party Transactions||FY2017-FY2021||2,794|
|Medicare Skilled Nursing Facility Cost Reports||Worksheet A-8-1 – Related Party Transactions||FY2017-FY2021||12,162|
|Medicare Home Health Cost Reports||Worksheet A-6 – Related Party Transactions (A-8-1 for years 2020 and later)||FY2017-FY2021||1,505|
|Medicare Hospice Cost Reports||Worksheet A-8-1 – Related Party Transactions||FY2017-FY2021||1,108|
|Medicare Renal Dialysis Cost Reports||Worksheet A-3 – Related Party Transactions||FY2017-FY2021||2,165|
|Total Healthcare Management Fee Arrangements:||22,642|
*As noted above, the management fees reported in Medicare cost reports are designated as related-party transactions. For example, a management company with an ownership interest in the managed business would be considered a related-party. A health system that manages an affiliated hospital would be considered a related-party.Bonus data:
- The Form 990 data also includes about 1,000 identified revenue cycle and billing compensation arrangements for healthcare organizations. These billing and revenue cycle fee arrangements are in addition to the 2,908 management arrangements.
- HCTadvisor has also compiled non-employee management expenses for over 15,000 healthcare organizations from Form 990, Part IX, Line 11(a). This extra data set can be analyzed for specific organizations, or in aggregate for hospitals, SNFs, ambulatory health, community clinics, and physician group practices.
HCTadvisor is licensing 12-month data subscriptions with updates made available as new data is released by the federal government (about every quarter).
Demo | 990 Form Module: Pt VII Management Fees
Demo | Hospital Module: Cost Report Worksheet A-8-1
Demo | Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Module: Wkht A-8-1
Demo | Renal Dialysis Module: Cost Report Worksheet A-3
Download Documents Include:
- Excel raw data files
- Read Me instructions
- Sample source data worksheets and instructions